Wednesday, November 21, 2012



I realize it's the night before Thanksgiving, but I finally figured this out, so...
I'm linking up with First Grade and Fabulous for a holiday recipe exchange.

Greek Cheese Ball
Ingredients:
1 loaf French baquette
olive oil
1 pkg (10 oz) fzn chopped spinach, thawed
2 T Greek rub (if you don't have this, mix together 1 tsp lemon zest, 1/2 tsp oregano leaves, and 1/4 tsp pepper)
8 oz crumbled feta cheese
2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
1/2 C sundried tomatoes (I buy the chopped ones, or I chop the whole ones in a chopper)
3 T shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut baquette into thin slices (1/4" thick). Put slices of bread on a baking stone or baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake 10-12 min. Remove and put on cooling rack.
2. Line a colander with paper towels. Put spinach into colander. Wrap the paper towels over the spinach and press until the spinach is almost dry. 
3. Put cream cheese into a medium bowl, and microwave for 30 sec. on HIGH, or until softened. Stir in spinach and the rub. Add feta cheese. Mix until well blended (I put it all in my Kitchen Aid mixer).
4. Line small mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture on the bottom of bowl. Top with chopped tomatoes-make an even layer. Spread the rest of the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
5. To serve, invert the bowl with the mixture onto a serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Press pistachios onto top of cheese  ball. Serve with baquette slices. 

*My family loves this recipe-I think it's from Pampered Chef? They request it all the time. I'm going to make it for a Thanksgiving meal appetizer, so we can eat it as we are all waiting impatiently for our meal tomorrow :).Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jen! This will be the appetizer I take to our next gathering with friends. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Wendy
    Read with Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was enjoyed by our entire family on Thanksgiving. Give it a try!!!

    ReplyDelete