Sunday, July 7, 2013

Picture Book Recommendations (Character Education)

This week, I am not late to Week #3 of this fabulous series of picture book linky parties. I enjoy learning about new picture books and refreshing my love for those well-loved classics.
Join Deanne, from First Grade and Fabulous, to share your picture book recommendations that teach character education. Just simply click on the image below:
I could have listed every book by Kevin Henkes, Howard Binkow and Julia Cook. They are awesome authors who write books that young children really connect with. I find myself quoting many of these books all year long. For example, from My Mouth Is a Volcano, I find myself saying, "Your mouth is erupting again.". It's awesome when a student will immediately be quiet because he/she remembers that particular book. 

Making friends, settling differences, showing kindness:



Awareness of bullying (what a bully is, what to do when someone bullies you or someone else, rules against bullying):


Listening Skills (what a good listener looks like, what a good listener does, importance of listening):

Accepting yourself, living your dream(s), breaking out of your shell:


Tattling/How to Be a Good Friend (what is tattling vs. telling, why friends don't like when others tattle):



I hope you learned about some new books. There are a ton of great picture book recommendations on this linky. Don't forget to click on the linky image above to check out all the book picks.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love Kevin Henkes books, too! I also like The Big Orange Splot for teaching the message of being yourself. A Bad Case of the Stripes and Tacky the penguin are good for 'individuality' too. There are so many picture books with great messages for building character. Love your picks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great books there. I have to say I'm quite fond of A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue. Sometimes I have to read it a few times! ;)

    Thanks for linking up!

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checking out some of the "Listening Skills" books for the beginning of school!! Thanks, Jayne
    Smart Kids
    ABCs of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your book list! Especially Weekend with Wendell. Kevin Henkes has the best messages and his characters are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links, wayyyy too easy for me to buy them now :)

    Jessica


    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list!!! I know a lot of them, but I can't wait to check out My Mouth is a Volcano! Also, Jess and I wanted to let you know that we nominated you for a new blog award! Check out our latest post for more information!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some new titles listed here that I am not familiar with. Thanks for sharing them! I love Enemy Pie!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete